The Jardin des Plantes is the main botanical garden in France. It is one of seven departments of the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle. Founded in 1626, It was originally known as the Jardin du Roi, the garden was not planted by Guy de La Brosse, Louis XIII's physician until 1635 as a medicinal herb garden.
In 1640 it opened to the public.
The Jardin des Plantes maintains a botanical school, which trains botanists, constructs demonstration gardens, and exchanges seeds to maintain biotic diversity.
About 4500 plants are arranged by family on a two acres (10,000 m²) plot. Six more acres are devoted to horticultural displays of decorative plants. An Alpine garden has 3000 species with world-wide representation.
The Rose Garden or La Rosraie, is created in 1990, and displays hundreds of species of roses and rose trees.
There are also specialized buildings, such as an impressing winter garden, and hothouses display regional plants, not native to France to be visited in this location.
The Grande Galerie de l'Évolution, the Mineralogy Museum, the Paleontology Museum and the Entomology Museum are an important part of the garden and attract many visitors throughout the year.
The Jardin des Plantes of Paris is It is situated in the 5ème arrondissement, Paris, on the left bank of the river Seine and covers ov er 50 acres (280,000 m²).